[alt-photo] casein

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Mon Apr 11 15:19:49 GMT 2011

Dear All,

I am continuing to work out the casein details, but thought I'd share a picture that applies to what I think Peter said, about the viscosity of casein that goes way up with percentage solutions. Peter, you are NOT kidding.

http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=2076

This is a picture of the immediate viscosity of 10% vs 15% sodium caseinate.

Have to go to school now but when I return I will see if it eventually liquifies, but this explains to me the vast differences between Schmincke and Kremer sodium caseinate/borax solution. The thick stuff is 15% and if Jacques was right, it may be Schmincke thinner stuff is 10-12%.

No conclusions drawn quite eyt, but that ammonium caseinate behaves quite differently, whipping up in either concentration as whipped egg whites and then going into solution within a couple hours.

More thoughts on this later but at least this will start a Monday morning conversation off.

BTW more caseins up on my website in the Past Lives folder. All are made with earth pigments (iron oxides, ultramarine no gum arabic), because I wanted to make sure not to muck up my observations with watercolor that contains gum arabic. Now comparing same images made with the usual magenta/thalo/azo yellow watercolors for comparison.

Taught casein in class last Wednesday and one student got a full tricolor in 2 hr. That's enough to make the process appealing, huh? A couple students were immediately hooked, and this is while they are still in their gum unit.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com