[alt-photo] Re: list postings

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Dec 30 19:32:33 GMT 2011

I sooo agree, Henk. We had a guest lecturer come to our school one day, show work, talk about working the biz, and more than once say to the students in answer to a question, "I'm not ready to share that." I saw this happen one year at APIS about some vaunted matte albumen process. My thought has always been, if you're not willing to dish all, then dish none. I would be THRILLED to see my students more successful than I. Well, actually, ha, many are :) Dam...this teaching gets in the way of making work :)

But not to say the ol' days were all roses either. I remember sharing and getting my head bit off, over and over and OVER to the point that I almost quit the list many times. At least that has subsided some.

The benefit in the list is this: there is one thing to reading about a process, say, VDB, in a book and doing it. There is another to bouncing your experience off of someone who does it all the time. That is the value of the list. I have learned more about pt/pd, vdb, kallitype, cyanotype, and mordancage from this list than books.

If it wasn't for Jonathan Bailey and Judy Seigel on this list, sharing formulae for mordancage and/or sources where it was written about (e.g. BJP Marriage article) back in 2001, which sharing I just reread, I would never have known about the process. Now practicing it for over a decade, I know a lot more, and it is far easier than the difficult formulas out there, e.g. no need for bomb strength hydrogen peroxide. and so on and so forth...
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com