[alt-photo] Re: list postings

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 30 19:35:24 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diana Bloomfield" <dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 11:21 AM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: list postings

> Hey Paul,
>
> Yes, I agree.  That's why I'm consistently surprised that
> people are so reluctant to share-- because, honestly,
> somebody could give me very detailed information about
> their process (as books do), but this only provides me
> with a general outline, or overview.  So I agree that you
> have to really experiment and do the work yourself-- and,
> in the end, your work will be unique to your process (way
> of working).  Nevertheless, the sharing of information--
> not simply saying, I did this or that-- does help to
> create a very particular kind of (open) culture that
> encourages discussion and the willingness to share
> in-kind.
>
> Diana
> On Dec 30, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Paul Viapiano wrote:
>
>> Sharing is great, no doubt...and I've asked a million
>> questions on this list and other places regarding every
>> process I've been interested in. Most people I've asked
>> have shared tremendously, others have answered partially
>> but in the spirit of teaching me to *do for myself*, and
>> when I have done that, I've learned so much, much more
>> about my materials and their characteristics that in the
>> end I have much more control. Yes, it takes a lot longer
>> to figure it all out, but really when you think about it,
>> even if someone shares every single thing about the way
>> they do something, you will *never* be able to make a
>> print like theirs.
>>
>> And I believe this wholeheartedly and have learned this
>> from my experience as a professional musician. What
>> guitars, amps, strings, pedals, picks, etc do you use?
>> How do you play this chord that chord...no one will sound
>> like you, not even close.

     Perhaps this is a difference between art and industry.
In industry there is a lot of secrecy because often the
existence of a business depends on maintaining it. I think
this has been true in art as well, where artists kept their
methods of making pigments, etc., secret. My memory is not
working well enough to give examples. I think where the
primary motive is something other than simply making money
from something there is a much greater willingness to share
and teach.
     I will say that when one intends to keep something
secret it shoule be done all the way without teasing or
hinting or pretending that all will be revealed. Either tell
it or keep quiet.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA