[alt-photo] Re: NICER NAME FOR INKJET?

Nelson Mark ender100 at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 03:50:30 GMT 2011

Dan (Burkholder) & Judy, I agree with you folks.  I think Archival Pigment Inkjet Print , though wordy, is descriptive.

I went to a well known photo gallery in Chicago to attend and opening.  They artist was showing full color prints that looked like they could either be inkjet, Lightjet, or even Lithographs beneath the glass.  I asked the gallery owner's assistant what type of prints I was looking at... she replied "COLOR PRINTS, END OF STORY!"  I felt like slapping her, the little snot.  I told her it wasn't "the end of story", because before I would ever buy a print I would damn well know what kind of print I was buying.  They were "giclee" prints.  I hate that term because it is a term that obsfucates and tries to sound like more than what they are.

I have absolutely nothing against inkjet prints.  I think they are great.  I just would like people to be honest use clear terminology.

I also really detest the use of "carbon print" for inkjet prints made with quadtone inks.  It is misleading.  Sometimes I have asked about what kind of prints were being shown and the gallery owner did not really know—that is bad!

My rant is over.

Mark Nelson