[alt-photo] Re: new website and show

David Ashcraft davidashcraft at sti.net
Sun Jun 12 21:59:52 GMT 2011

Thanks to everybody for the replies.  If anybody will be in Long
Beach, CA June 25th and have the evening free come see the prints at
Gallery 1233.  Also, I will take some snaps and share them with the
group.

Brett Weston has been a favorite and I guess obvious influence on my
work, add to that so many others that I'll not list them here.  The
challenge is to be inspired to my own unique vision by his passion for
photography.  I hope not a knockoff.

My Ansel Adams west coast influence and obsession with creating the
perfect print left me wanting  and I realized pristine prints void of
meaning, spirit, or emotion were equal to well made prints of step
tablets.

The wildness of nature is my element, I feel lost in cities, I live in
a forest so this is what I photograph.  When I met Ruth Bernhard she
talked with me about photographing where you are now.  I took this to
mean not only location physically but spiritually.  And Wynn Bullocks
writings on transcending subject matter to what else is there and
Minor White's ideas of waiting for your subject to reveal it's self to
the camera... etc.  The idea being the more technically,
philosophically, and visually facile you are with your art the more
eloquent you can be.  Not that I've arrived, but I think it's a part
of the over all process of the creation of art and dare I say living
life.

After seeing a platinum printing demo I was hit with the revelation
that here was a process that had a feeling close to how I felt about
the photographs I was seeing.  I love this process!  I hope I can
return to it a little of what it has given me.    FWIW

Thanks again,
David