[alt-photo] gutenprint drivers for digital negatives

Gordon Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 22 17:25:14 GMT 2011

Hi all:

With the recent discussions of the issue with the epson 3880 printer and its suitability for producing digital negatives I started looking at possible solutions.

The Gutenprint drivers appear to offer features not available with the traditional manufacturer or OS based drivers.  Gutenprint offers the ability to change the ink density.  I think this is essential for producing digital negatives.

I contacted a Gutenprint developer who is willing to develop additional features to cater to producing digital negatives if a consensus of what is needed can be established.  Is anyone interested in this?

Does anyone have experience using the Gutenprint drivers?  My ancient second-hand epson 1200 has finally failed and I'm not in a position to get a new printer soon so I can't explore this on my own.

The Gutenprint drivers are print drivers available to Mac and Unix/linux systems:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

For windows users there is a Gutenprint plugin available (http://registry.gimp.org/node/14567) for the Gimp image editor (http://www.gimp.org/windows/)

and a photoshop plugin:
http://rapidshare.com/files/323878978/photogp_update_21-12-2009.zip