[alt-photo] Re: Katherine Thayer

Jean Daubas jean.daubas at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 9 23:09:41 GMT 2011

Hi all,

Thanks Paul for making us know.
I never met her, I’ll never know how she looked, i’ll never hear the sound of her voice... On the other side, she never knew and will never know about my existence.

Though, in a certain way, for me, Katharine was one of my elder sisters in my “alt-processes family”;  and as you may easily gues, in this “alt family”, several of you are my “brothers and sisters”...

In my darkroom, a printed copy of her series of articles, printed from her web site, is always under my view, starting with this simple and personal title : “How I Print Gum”
And i cannot resist the pleasure top quote Katharine’s first sentence:
“I make no claims of originality for my method, don’t offer it as a recipe for others to follow, and have no wish whatever to become the guru of yet one morte gum printing cult. I simply give it here to show that (1) gum printing isn’t nearly as difficult or complicated as it’s sometimes made out to be, and (2) many different effects can be achieved by the same very simple formula”

Katharine, thanks for having shared so generously with us on this list, your experiments, your methods, your enthusiasm. And be sure that in the making of all of my best Gum prints, I’ve always added a pinch of “Kat. T. pigment” to make them more alive!

As Bob mentioned, strange feeling to be sad of missing someone we’ll never know (?)

Katharine, thanks for all ,
Cheers from your alt-brother in France,
Jean