[alt-photo] Re: Is this mailing list still active?

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 25 06:13:35 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Bryant" <donsbryant at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:49 PM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Is this mailing list still active?

> Hello, my name is Kurt Nagy
>
> This post is just an introduction and to see if there are
> still people out
> there.
>>

> Greetings Kurt and Welcome to the "List"!
>
> The List has been Listless for quite a while now with a
> few bursts of
> posting now and then. Many of the List gum printers lurk
> in the shadows and
> don't post frequently. Perhaps your questions and comments
> about gum
> printing will invigorate discussions about gum printing.
>
> First, if possible try not printing with dense negatives.
> Long exposure
> times can cause problems with gum. I assume you are
> experiencing anemic
> looking prints. Using a saturated solution of potassium
> bichromate will work
> fine though ammonium bichromate is more light sensitive.
>
> Tri-color gum with film separations eh? Your are an
> ambitious man! Of course
> you will need to use a panchromatic film. Steve Anchell
> the former editor of
> Photovision magazine, wrote an article published sometime
> in the mid 80s or
> 90s describing his method of printing tri-color gum using
> TMAX 100 film.
> Perhaps one of our list members can tell what the
> publication date was and
> what magazine the article was printed in.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Don Bryant

     I think all lists go through sporadic periods where
there is just not much traffic. Then someone posts something
that wakes everyone up and there is heavy traffic for a
while. I think we just had a bit of a quiet spell.
     Unlike the lists I belong to that are based on
conventional or "wet" photography this one has not
diminished with the increase in digital photography. I think
that is because they are compatible in many ways. Digital
technology is used by many printers to prepare negatives for
printing and other purposes. Also, I think many of the
participants here are practicing artists who are most
interested in methods of accomplishing some desired end
rather than the technology for its own sake, although one
can not ignore that by any means.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA