[alt-photo] Re: back to the flaking/speckling question

Keith Gerling keith.gerling at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:56:04 GMT 2011

1)  I would try putting a pigment-less layer of gum over the already sized
paper and exposing it to light and rinsing out the dichromate.  It will be
a little "tanned", but should correct the flaking issue.

2)  You can also remove the hardened gelatin by soaking in a weak solution
of household bleach.  Don't' overdo it, or you will weaken the paper.

3) Dump that glyoxol.  It is a huge PITA.  The 4th in my list of Great
Discoveries in Gum is when Christina Z. Anderson popularized Gluteraldahyde
as a gelatin hardener.  My life became far easier!  Glyoxal is a
hearbreaker.  Always messing up one way or another.

Keith