[alt-photo] Re: bottom-weighting mats

Denny dspector at charter.net
Wed Nov 30 17:09:30 GMT 2011

This reminds me of a quote, I don't remember the source, supposedly from
Ralph Steiner's intro to his book "A Point of View":

"Ansel Adams . . . had flown from San Francisco to do a piece of work for
New York's Museum of Modern Art. He was busily doing that work when an
urgent phone call came from [Paul] Strand. Was Ansel busy; could he come to
Strand's apartment for an emergency consultation? Ansel allowed that he was
busy, but an emergency. . . . So Ansel dropped his work and took a taxi to
Strand's, He knocked, and, at Strand's invitation, came in.

Strand was bending over a work table on which lay a sheet of mounting board
and a small print. Strand shifted the print upward on the mount a half inch
and then downward, and said: 'Does it look better up here or down there?' "

FWIW, I use about 41% / 59%  on most images.