[alt-photo] Re: The Illusive Black Cyanotype - Any Insight?

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue Sep 20 21:54:45 GMT 2011

Francesco,

- Are you toning fresh prints right after finishing rinse/development
step or do you tone completely finished (dry - oxidized - aged)
prints? (Maybe fresh prints could prove better; I was never waiting
the prints to dry / oxidize completely and age before toning... BTW,
please note that I never tried gallic acid toning, only tannic acid
and lead acetate. In any case, you "may" experience a little better
contrast / more open highlights that way; try and see if that works
better for you. ???)
- Do you clear(!) your cyanotypes before toning? (A weak ...say, 1
heaping dessert spoon per 2000ml... citric acid solution after
development and peroxide, but before the last rinse works pretty well
in clearing the print from unwanted iron residue = better contrast +
cleaner highlights. Plus, IME, citric acid clearing gives a greener
blue, and more green "may" give you results which are a little more
neutral. ???)

Regards,
Loris.