[alt-photo] Re: Clearprint Vellum 1020 vs 1000H

kerik at kerik.com kerik at kerik.com
Mon Feb 13 17:10:47 GMT 2012

In general, the vellum papers are quite robust, especially the
Clearprint line.

http://www.clearprintpaperco.com/media/vellums.html

They have good wet strength and are pretty easy to work with. The
heavier ones tend to be better for bigger prints. I've printed as large
as 14x17 and 12x20 on these. If a third party spills a drop of water, it
will dry off like any other paper. No harm done. They are also quite
inexpensive compared to many papers we use for alternative processes.

The two hassles for me with vellums are: 1) they can be subject to
black spots for those who print pt/pd and 2) they will never again be
perfectly flat when they dry. No matter how much drying and flattening
you do, they tend to get a little wrinkly as they breathe with the temp
and humidity of where they are displayed. This can be overcome by
drymounting, but that take away some of the wonderful translucency. The
wrinkling doesn't bother me.

-Kerik