[alt-photo] Re: further cyanotype observations

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Feb 28 15:34:42 GMT 2012

Loris and Henry,

I use 20% A to 8% B 1:1, which if I do the calculations of Alberto's mix/your mix, Loris, I should be at 20%A to 9.6% B so I could up the B a bit.

I got tremendous bleeding with 2A:1B and that was when the conversation started a couple years back and Alberto was such a saint to explain it to me why.

When I went back to this testing spate to 1A:1B I was expecting quite a bit longer exposure times for all my papers (a stop I figured) but that is what surprised me so much--that my exposure time on even FAEW is 8 minutes!! In fact, with a 30% humidity, my exposure times range from 2.5-10 minutes on all papers.

My surmise is that humidity is a great factor.

I have not used Tween in any of these tests, preferring to start from square one.

The only question I have remaining is this: is it possible that an old solution of cyanotype A and B increases in speed over time. My solutions are about a year old, not freshly mixed. Stored in light tight bottles in cool, dry temps.

But "as for me and my house" I will turn on the humidifier in my dimroom always. Even in summer humidity here is severely low.

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com