[alt-photo] Re: Anyone using sodium citrate as DOP pt/pd developer?

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Wed Jan 11 08:29:21 GMT 2012

Dear Bob, Christina and Jon,

Thanks much for the info, mucho mucho appreciated! (A special thanks to
Christina for the comparative visual... And Bob, I hope you get well soon.)

The motivation behind my question was:
I may print for someone (exhibition + a small edition run maybe...) in the
near future. Despite personally preferring the POP variant, for sake of
consistency, I thought it would be wiser to go for the traditional DOP
process. (Humidity level and drying time is definitive - in terms of hue and
speed - for pop...) While going down the checklist, I noticed that I don't
have a local source for potassium oxalate, and decided I don't want to mess
with compounding it from (locally present) oxalic acid and potassium
carbonate. (I did the math - out of curiosity; I like the chemistry stuff as
you already know! - nevertheless...) Local sources have sodium citrate (and
citric acid - for buffering...), hence my inquiry...

Verdict:
Most of the photogs aren't much fond of extra warm prints here, I guess it's
because they're more accustomed to traditional, selenium toned silver
prints. Therefore, the colder is the color (+ the better the dmax is) the
better looks the print to their eyes. If ammonium / sodium citrate gives
colder colors, that's fine. From what I gather from the visual provided by
Christina, yes, the color is colder, but still on the warm side - exactly as
I like it! (I personally don't like a too warm hue; neutral or a hint of
warm would be perfect.) The final decision will be made by the photog, of
course, sounds promising anyway...

Thanks much again & regards,
Loris.