[alt-photo] Re: sizing options for color gum

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 18 14:25:19 GMT 2012

Hey Chris,

As I've said before, my use of PVA is so minimal that it's as though
I've not used anything at all, except that all the layers are
"clean."  And, as also mentioned before, I've only had to dilute it
when making relatively large prints.  Since people seem to have such
varying experiences with it, I have to believe that the paper used
must make a huge difference, too.  I never really liked Fabriano hot
press paper-- while smooth, it just seemed too flimsy to me and had no
depth to it.  I much preferred the 300 lb  hot press to the 190 lb.
But when I started using Rives BFK, I liked that so much better.  The
prints seemed softer (in a good way-- for my work, anyway), and I like
the sort of linen type background it has.  Now I mostly use the
Fabriano soft-press, which has more texture (than the Fabriano hot-
press).  There's something about a little bit of texture to a paper
that just seems to give an image more depth (to my mind).

So I really think the choice of paper must make a difference, as well
as (possibly) the environment.   I work in a relatively humid
environment here (in NC), and my tap water, which is fairly alkaline
in my area (and never ever seems to come out of the tap cold, but
always tepid)-- has to be very different from what you experience in
Montana, for instance.  I'm not really sure that would make a
difference in coating with PVA, but I do know that we had a couple of
unseasonably cold dry days here recently.  I have a wood stove in my
studio, and with that going, and the weather-- all that dryness made
the coating a little more difficult.  I really hadn't had to use a
humidifier in a long while.

Anyway . . . those are my theories on why PVA seems to offer such
varying experiences for people.  Of course, I also think that we all
get used to a certain way that works for us and just don't see the
point in making a change.  And I really do think that there's
something about us where we firmly believe that if something is too
easy and works too well (especially for a process like gum)-- well,
can that possibly be right, or even good??  ;)

Diana