[alt-photo] Re: removing dust off the negatives, physically

Ken Sinclair photo1 at telusplanet.net
Thu Jan 19 15:34:10 GMT 2012

Ryuji,

My first recommendation is (generally) to make sure that the enlarger
chassis
is grounded (earthed?) with a separate copper wire (rescued from
scrap?), rather
than relying on the 'ground' via the power plug. I usually wipe the
negative carriers
with an anti-static cloth and the check for further dust that may
need 'chasing' with
either a brush or 'canned air' before placing the negative in position.

I had a friend who, for many years, had major dust problems until he
not only provided
a ground his enlarger, but had to stand on a special anti-static mat
while inserting the
negative and focussing.

Ken