[alt-photo] Re: Distilled Water

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Thu Jan 26 03:44:55 GMT 2012

Peter wrote:

>I have a dehumidifer that runs for about three months and in July
>and August I acquire my distilled water.  I gather about 15 litres
>per week at that time.

The coils and fins of dehumidifiers are generally aluminum, which may
impart traces of aluminum ions to the condensate.  Some photographic
processes are very sensitive to aluminum contamination (the
preparation of silver gelatin emulsion, for one).  If you get strange
results when you try a new process, consider the possibility that it
may be due to aluminum in the water.  Similarly, rainwater often
contains enough sulfur ions to muck up some photo processes.

Best regards,

etienne