[alt-photo] Re: Clerc and am fe citrate

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 9 02:53:53 GMT 2012

Hi Don,

The green variety of ferric ammonium citrate is a somewhat muted
green (camouflage green!) either in solution or as dried scales or
powder so it seems that your green fac must have deteriorated. If
this is the case I suspect it is many years old or was exposed to
light, heat. I have some three year old solution which remains a nice
shade of green and tests free of any ferrous species. A little
potassium ferricyanide makes for a simple test for this reduced form
of iron. If the test is negative, then perhaps you do have the brown
form. I heard mention once that a wee bit of hydrogen peroxide can
re-oxidize ferrous but I have not tried this.

As far as attempting to change the brown variety to green? I made
some attempts along these lines but was not successful. You see, In
my first attempts to make green fac, I was always ending up with the
slower brown variety. I then attempted to adjust the quantities of
citrate and ammonia but it remained brown. I even left this for days
hoping it would re-speciate, but to no avail. Changing the order of
addition allowed me to produce the green variety.

Perhaps you will have better luck with conversion. Keep us posted.

Peter Friedrichsen