[alt-photo] Re: TANGENTIALLY ON TOPIC: HELP W/ CS-5 & SCANNER?

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Thu May 17 00:20:21 GMT 2012

I might be trying to sell you a wrong rum (solution) but if you just don't like
Epson Scan, or hate having to go through TIFF files (both are true in my case),
you might like my practice.

I scan material in VueScan and save in Adobe DNG raw file. If the image is
negative, there is one switch that flips the image to a positive, but other than
that, I can totally ignore color, curve, white point, etc., as these parameters
are irrelevant to DNG file being produced (you need to set resolution, etc.
properly, of course). These are just like camera raw files except that the data
come from linear image sensor in the scanner. So, you can use Lightroom or
Camera RAW to render the file later and enjoy nondestructive editing workflow
until you hit Photoshop.

This way, I can scan a batch of negs fast and never have to rescan the same
thing because the black point was wrong, etc.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)