[alt-photo] Re: Gelatin

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Wed Feb 13 17:40:06 GMT 2013

The phrases "physical ripening" and "chemical ripening" refer to steps used in
producing silver-gelatin emulsions, and the major difference is in trace amounts
of impurities. In fact, what you described suggest that those gelatin products
were designed for pre-WW2 era, since modern emulsions are made with very much
purer gelatin with a controlled amount of chemical agents intentionally added,
rather than relying on incidental components of gelatin.

What this means is that these distinctions are unimportant for most other
purposes. You might want to test the available samples for viscosity, how
gelatin stiffens when chilled, and other rheological and optical properties
rather than trace amount of chemical impurities.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"If the President will let them off the hook and let them become kinder, gentler