[alt-photo] Re: platinum IV question

Keith Schreiber keith at jkschreiber.com
Thu Jan 31 19:04:38 GMT 2013

I'm not familiar with the nomenclature used by Photographer's Formulary, but it sounds like what you are describing is what B&S calls "Na2" platinum solution (Na2PtCl6). Here is a reference that may help clear up the naming confusion.

	http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/288152?lang=en&region=US

The standard platinum solution used in the platinum printing process is Potassium Chloroplatinite 15% (K2PtCl4).

You can still get "Na2" platinum solution from B&S. I don't see any platinum or palladium solutions currently at Photographer's Formulary.

Note that "Na2" is used as an additive to increase contrast with palladium printing, not if you are using the standard platinum solution.

~ Keith