[Alt-photo] Re: APIS 2013

KISS BOB bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Mon Jul 1 16:27:47 UTC 2013

DEAR CHRISTINA,
      Actually, unless an "angel" lands on me before Oct,
I won't be at APIS in person but in video form.  B&S
doesn't pay airfares and, as I am located in Barbados, I
don't have access as you do to Southwest or other discount
airlines.  It would cost me around $2,000 US round trip to
get there and then room and board on top of that.
      My intentions are to make and send up prints along
with a video of me making the prints.  Melody and I have
also discussed setting up a Skype link for Q&A.
      And all of my fund raising efforts are going toward
my show that will open on Sept 7th of 20 large pt/pd
prints of chattel houses at City Gallery at Waterfront
Park in Charleston SC.  At the opening Prof. Henry Fraser
(who wrote the text accompanying more than 100 of my
chattel house photos) and I will be signing books as well.
 This will run concurrently with the JUMA arts festival.
 This should be a special show because two Carolina
photographers who have made images of the Gullah people
(related to Barbadians) and of houses and churches in the
Carolinas that look exactly like our chattel houses, will
also be showing.  The whole purpose of the show will be to
emphasize the 4 century old relationship between the
Carolinas and Barbados in the form of The Legacy
Foundation of Barbados and the Caroliinas.  Again,
airfares between Barbados and SC are very high and we must
remain for a few days to give lectures and interviews so
we are flat out trying to raise funds to cover everything
for this.
      Just in case my summer was going to be boring...
  LOL!!!
                      CHEERS!
                           BOB