[Alt-photo] Re: A DEFINITIVE ANSWER?

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Thu Jul 18 23:10:59 UTC 2013

DEAR DIANA & ERIC,
	As mentioned in my original e-mail *I did make a lighter print* but
it seems a shame to toss out a 20X24 palladium print that would be easily
correctible with a subtle bleaching if it were a silver gelatin.
	Further, I believed Ansel Adams when he said, making a musical
analogy, “The negative is the score.  The print is the performance!”  Like
most performing musicians who "shape" (volume and equalization) their sound
to the size and acoustics of the hall in which they will be performing, I
try to fine tune the tonality of my prints according to the type of lighting
under which they will be shown and viewed.  I have a track light set up to
view my dry prints that will be shown in galleries with spotlighting.  I
also ask the collectors who buy my prints what lighting will be on the
prints in the rooms where they intend to hang them.  The differences are not
enormous; they are subtle, but most of you on this list would see them and
the prints do sing when printed for the specific lighting.  So the "brighter
light" theory doesn't work here.
	Earlier today I received an e-mail suggesting that HBr, hydrobromic
acid, does work as a mild reducing agent for palladium.  The trick is
finding this on this little island called Barbados.  If I can find some and
try reducing this print I will report results.  The other option Is to cut
it up and use it to test new toners and new surface waxes.  Living here one
learns to waste as little as possible.
		CHEERS!
			BOB