[Alt-photo] Re: 1st attempt

Diana Bloomfield dlhbloomfield at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 15:12:06 UTC 2013

I agree with Jack about Chris's book.  I think you'd find it really helpful.

I also agree about the pigment suggestion.  One issue I consistently see with the people I've taught is the desire to add more pigment than is necessary, which causes all kinds of problems-- and it's frustrating for them.  My suggestion is to always start with less pigment.  In fact, when I first started making gum prints, I ultimately started making very light prints (not much pigment and the gum and dichromate adjusted accordingly), and what a difference.  I found that I could go back over everything again with a second thin coat, for a richer print.  Eventually, just by printing-- I understood how much pigment I could initially use without having problems.  The blue pigment is also often a problem for people-- not sure why-- but I also sometimes suggest using Payne's Gray instead of, say, Prussian Blue.  For some reason-- though it's very light and soft-- it works well, and it shows people that they can do this process and leaves them less frustrated about the whole thing and more willing to move forward.

As an aside, I have been trying Chia's methods she described here some time ago.  I had to ultimately get a new printer, so that slowed me down-- but what I love is using the graphite pigment.   I had a graphite powder which works well, but also a tube pigment.  I really like the tone that it offers-- totally different from just CMY.  But the biggest news-- which I forgot to post-- is that my birthday did roll around, as predicted, back in August-- and all my prints from the Oregon show arrived back here.  They sat in crates on the living room floor for forever until I finally opened them.  And in one of them sat that gorgeous white tulip gum print of Chia's that she'd shown out there.  My husband did get that for me-- and he never said a word, even when the crates sat here gathering dust, unopened.  So it was a big surprise when I finally opened them and saw that print sitting there.  It is so beautiful and, really, so unusual.  And it's perfect here in my house as I knew it would be. :)  So if you're listening-- thanks, Chia.  I could not be happier getting to look at this incredible print-- everyday.

Diana