[Alt-photo] Re: Bob Kiss's exhibit in Charleston

bobkiss @caribsurf.com bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Mon Sep 23 10:34:05 UTC 2013

DEAR PIERRE-OLIVIER,
     Thanks for taking the time to see my show.  All of the prints are
platinum-palladium except one, the old lady standing next to the rubble
stone indentured servant's hut which was inkjet that I printed from a
deceased Barbadian photographer's negative for historical reference.
     Though I try very hard to maintain process control, the color of the
prints vary with drop mixture ratio, developer temp, and batch of COT 320.
My photos are all on the ground floor and there are no silver gelatin
prints in that show at all.  Up stairs are the photos of Julia Cart and two
other photographers and their prints are on various media.
     All of the boarders of my prints are exactly square.  What your wife
noticed was that some of the prints (5 or 6 of the 18, don't remember) were
"full format", i.e., showing the entire negative uncropped so that the
edges of the 8X10 film were visible.  What she saw were the flanges that
hold the 8X10 film flat in the film holders which create uneven lines on
two sides of the film.  Sophisticated collectors recognize and appreciate
seeing this.
     Thanks again for making the effort to see my show!
                         CHEERS!
                                      BOB