Re: Platine paper and gum prints

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 17:00:11 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Charles Cooper wrote:
> to ask the list if anyone has tried Arches Platine with gum prints?
>I suspect he is wondering if
> students could order this paper and use it successfully for both gum and
> palladium projects.

Probably not impossible -- any more than it's impossible to find one soap
that would brush your teeth and wash your hair -- and I see you're in
Australia, which might explain the wish to save ordering, but *especially*
for beginners I'd suggest getting the easiest/cheapest paper for each
process.

I have in fact tested Arches Platine with gum, tho not in a print
(only by 21-step) and, when well gelatine-sized, it looks like it might
work, all other things being equal. But of course they're not equal...

At least in my experience students of gum often spoil much paper before
they get the hang of it. When that paper has been as expensive as Platine,
they want to give up & go back to Polaroid transfer.

> Buxton sounds as if it would work well, but just how hard is it to
> acquire? Can it be purchased anywhere in the US? And if we go to the UK for
> it, how long should we expect to wait for an order to arrive?

Yes, that's what I'd advise -- ie., go to the UK for it. Literally. I'm
still hoping (actually expecting) to perfect one-coat gum on Buxton, but
again, it's expensive and, so far, hard to get. The paper is very beautiful
and if I were a maven platinum printer I think it would be my paper of
choice. But I would most definitely advise *against* laying that burden
on students.

> when I joined this list, there was a giant
> war being waged

Gee Margie, that's strange -- I've been here all along and I don't
remember a war. (Anybody?)

Whatever, hope these comments are helpful -- and one other point: I
gather Rives BFK is available in Australia. It's probably the easiest for
gum beginners, and, at least here, half the price of Platine.

Make that two other points: you can make a pretty fair gum print on a
variety of drawing-type papers available cheaply in pads. The ingredients
are so much cheaper than for platinum, experiment is no sweat.

Judy