Re: Grad school/Photogravure

deadcat (dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:26:33 -0330 (NST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996 JFrank2642@aol.com wrote:

> As far as photogravure goes....not quite sure.
> For collotype; it is available at SUNY Purchase and I know that the chair of
> The School of The Art Institute of Chicago is interested in collotype. Also
> the Royal College of Art in London has interest in collotype as well.
> Jim Frank

PHOTOGRAVURE
In Canada, there are no grad schools which, to my knowledge,
have the facilities or technical support to teach or work with
photogravure with exception of two: the University of Alberta in Edmonton,
which has recently tried and successfully used the process. They do have a
graduate program as well. The second is our own where a colleague and I have
been working with photogravure here at
Sir Wilfred Grenfell College (Memorial University of Newfoundland) for
several years now. We can find only one experienced and working Canadian
practitioner in British Columbia, Joseph Montague. One might also inquire
at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in Halifax, N.S.

Our department offers a BFA degree in various studio disciplines, but
without any plans for a MFA in the near future. In an effort to ecourage
full utilization of our facility, we would welcome anyone
who works with photogravure to work in our studio(s) during our off season
(May to August). We are located in Corner Brook in western Newfoundland,
a virtual gold mine for you landscape artists out there...fjiords,
barrens, dramatic geology, the sea, caribou, moose, whales, etc. etc.
(and skiing in a heavy snow fall area in winter).

Feel free to contact me for more info...

David Morrish
Head, Department of Visual Arts
Sir Wilfred Grenfell College
Memorial University of Newfoundland