Re: Ossein,sizing,supplier address.

Keith Schreiber (KEITH@ccp.arizona.edu)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 15:49:42 -0700 (MST)

On 9 Mar 96 LESMD@aol.com wrote:

> Terry,
> I did receive you post on sizing. Thanks for the information. In my usual
> sources for paper, I have not found Fabriano 5 NOT. Could this be the same as
> Fabriano Artistico which I have used with good success. If not could you
> describe this paper more fully. Is it a watercolor or print paper: what is
> it's weight and surface.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Fabriano 5 NOT is known in the US as Fabriano Classico CP. It is not
the same as Fabriano Artistico. Both are watercolor papers but
Classico is 50% cotton rag while Artistico is 100%.

For those in the US (or elsewhere) not familiar with the British
terminology regarding surface texture of watercolor papers:

HOT = Hot Pressed (HP)
NOT = Cold Pressed (CP)

My tests with palladium show that without the use of additional
sizing Classico CP works quite well and has a rather high inherent
contrast. I don't have numerical data for it yet but comparing it
visually to papers that I have plotted curves for my guess is that
it has an ES of about 1.6. It is 50% cotton, acid-free, mould-made,
watermarked, with 2 deckled edges, and a slightly hard surface. It is
available in 140# (300gms) CP, 19x27in and 27x39 in, from Daniel
Smith (DS) in Seattle. It is also available From John Purcell Papers
(JPP) in London in Smooth and Not surfaces, weights of 130, 160,
210, 300, and 350 gms, sizes 50x70 cm and 70x100 cm.

Artistico did not perform very well in my tests without additional
sizing. I intend to try it with regular gelatin, ossein (if I can get
some), and arrowroot starch as soon as I have a chance. Artistico is
available in HP, CP, and Rough surfaces in weights of 90# (200gms),
140# (300gms) and 300# (600gms) from both DS and JPP. It is 100%
cotton, acid-free, mould-made, watermarked, and has 2 deckled edges.
The sheet size is 22x30 in (56x76 cm).

The above specs were taken directly from the catalogs from DS and
JPP.

Hope this helps,
Keith
Keith Schreiber