Re: Sudek show

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Tue, 26 Mar 96 18:07 GMT

>"This is a extremely rare,
> >emulsion
> >transfer print. Sudek transferred the emulsion from a piece of
photographic
> >paper to a piece of drawing paper, picking up its texture and color,
which
> >are visible through the transferred emulsion." >>
> >
> >I am not at all sure reading this what it could be. Is this a bad
> >description of a carbon print?
>
> I don't think so Peter.
>
> To me, it sounds like the old *Transferotype* process, which I see
> described in this Encyclopedia before me...
>
> From 1884, until at least 1964, in some parts of the world, Kodak (and
> others) made available a bromide emulsion coated on top of a soluble
> gelatin, from which it could be separated and transferred onto a wide
> variety of supports. This was much like the carbon process, except that it
> was *much* simpler.
>
> Luis Nadeau

Thanks for that Luis. I have now looked up Transferotype in my Cassell's
Cyclopaedia (1911) which says that this process was "widely used many years
ago". It also says that "The term is now used rather loosely to describe
transferred pictures by other processes."

Not having access to the original I cannot comment on what process I think
was used. As I said earlier a similar looking print reproduced in Sonja
Bullaty's Sudek book is labelled as a bromoil transfer.