Re: Ilford Xp-2

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sun, 5 May 96 18:57 BST-1

Normal processing never gives green negs - it is a sign something has gone
wrong. The discussion was about reversal processing of the material.

Although this is the wrong list, I'll reply in (for me) reasonable
brevity.

There are no problems with using Ilford Multigrade paper in condenser or
diffuser enlargers with this material.

XP2 _has_ a very long scale. It can be overexposed several stops - and quite
unlike normal films this results in finer apparent grain. You can get fine
detail from heavily overexposed areas. (There are some good examples of this
on some of my pictures on Fixing Shadows which would not have been possible
with ordinary films.) Most problems that people have with this film are due
to underexposure. I think Ilford do themselves a disservice by suggesting
you can rate at 800ASA (or even above). It is best used at 100 to 400 ASA.
(You can get some sort of results by special processing at astronomical ASA
ratings.)

It is best to process this film yourself - as with any black and white film
- so you can adjust the contrast to fit you procedures. Standard C41
processing does tend to give slightly soft negs - though this is not a real
problem. I increase the dev time from 3 mins 25 seconds to 4 minutes
normally.

In terms of sharpness I would rate it similar to other 400 ASA films, but it
gives grain similar to 100 ASA. It starts to get a bit soft if exposed at
50ASA or below (and enlarging times are excessive.)

For all normal work I use two black and white films - TMax100 and XP2. For
normal pictures there is no visible difference in grain or sharpness in
enlargements.

Peter Marshall

Family Album/Gay Pride - http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/index.html
Also on Fixing Shadows: ----------- http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s