Re: Printing on Fabric

Sam Wang (stmwang@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Fri, 10 May 1996 12:14:34 -0400

>From: Mac Cosgrove-Davies <MCOSGROVEDAVIES@worldbank.org>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for details on how
> to make a photographic print on fabric. I have had limited
> success with cyanotype (and could use some pointers here), but
> also would like to know about other options.

That depends on what do you intend to do with the fabric. If it is to be
displayed only, easiest thing to use is the Rockland Liquid Light - you can
enlarge onto it. Cyanotype involves more work, since you'll need full size
negatives, unless you want to do Photograms. (I take that back, EASIEST
thing is to use the Luminos Photo Linen).

If you intend to wear it and put it through the wash, there's nothing
better than Inko Dyes - they come in a wide variety of colors, leaves a
soft "hand" in the fabric, and is very permanent (can stand repeated
washing - DISCLAIMER: have no idea about "archival quality"). All you need
do is brush it on or soak the fabric in diluted Inko Dye (it's colorless),
let dry, and contact print under the sun till it looks right (it's a
printing-out light-setting dye), and launder it in the clothes washer. It
works on paper too, but is very difficult to be completely washed out.

Unfortunately I have not used Inko Dye for ages, and cannot say if they are
still available, nor to provide a source. All I know is that it was made in
California. Perhaps someone else out there can track down the info?

Sam Wang
stmwang@hubcap.clemson.edu