Re: Gum Bichromate Kit from Photo. Formulary

Gordon J. Holtslander (holtslander@sask.usask.ca)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:38:42 -0600 (CST)

I've used the Gum Bichromate kits from Photo Formulary. I had reasonably
good results. The kit I ordered (~ 2 years ago) contained a tube of
pigment, prepared solutions of gum arabic and an envelope of dichromate
(I've forgotten which one).

You must still buy an appropriate paper and prepare it for gum. This is
a fairly critical step. What paper is chosen and how it is prepared
greatly influences the success and/or quality of prints.

Do not expect to get a perfect print the first time you try it.

There is a tremendous variation of papers, treatments and approaches to
making gum prints. You will have to play around and experiment to find
what works best for you.

Other more experienced gummists may be able to suggest how to begin.

Gord
Gordon J. Holtslander 112 Science Place
HOLTSLANDER@SKYFOX.USASK.CA Department of Biology
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan