Re: Tissue for Carbon Print

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:39:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
> Another question that I have is about the light source (yes, I have read the
> FAQ). I was thinking about using the light box for viewing transparencies.
> Someone mentioned that it would not work, but I thought I needed to build a
> light box anyway, so why would it work? Is it because the wattage for those
> light boxes is too low? I am hoping that I don't have to build one yet

No it's not the wattage, it's the wave length. You could expose with
regular daylight fluorescents if you're only doing carbon tissue. And
perhaps platinum. But for cyanotype & probably for gum, you need a
higher UV output -- which is why people use blacklight fluorescents.

We worked this to death last fall. Anyone remember the month?

Incidentally, there's no reason not to use the same lightbox & change the
bulbs if that's convenient. I worked that way for a long time -- had a
knock down set up on a table top was fine for up to 8x10.

Judy