Gum pigs and ball milling

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 23:53:50 -0600

Then Macy Garcia said:
>How many of you use the "generic chemicals" instead of the tube
>watercolors? Are these powders as fine as those in the tubes? Any
>suppliers in the US? How is the selection of pigments?
>
>Sounds interesting!!

Then Dick Sullivan butts in:

While we are on this topic, Jack Mac Donald, who used to run an Alt-Photo
school in Inglewood California said that none of the prepared pigments like
W&N were fine enough for gum. He claimed that Wm Mortenson (I can never
remember how to spell his name) would buy dry pigment and ball mill it. This
is a process where the pigment is put in a can with some 1 inch size ball
bearings and the can rolled on a device similar to what rock hounds use to
polish rocks. This process can take weeks I was told. My suspicions are that
this is another one of those legends abounding in the photo world. Anyone
have any knowledge of this?

Dick S.

Bostick & Sullivan
1541 Center Dr.