Re: Printing on copper

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 00:15:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Jack Fulton wrote:

> Carson, thanks for info. Yes, I think it is too thin for a press...it is
> thinner than a credit card...sort of like two thick business cards. >
Too, didn't know Ms. Savage was Man Ray's relative. > Will get some kind
of an image onto the copper. > Best > Jack >

As I recall it was uncle. I was on a panel with Naomi Savage 6 or 7 years
ago & she told a couple of terrific Man Ray stories, which I don't
remember either. She is not just a beautiful & charming woman, but one of
the first & certainly one of the best "alt -photo" artists. She also has a
characteristic that is truly weird in the "art world" where it is de
rigueur to walk over one's grandmother, so to speak, to get a show, a
mention, even a studio visit. Although she continues to do innovative
work, she told of turning down many offers of shows -- which may be why I
find the younger generation tends not to know her name. But she's in the
history books, so why not relax? She enjoys what certainly looks like a very
well-rounded life -- including the grandchildren.

As for getting the image onto copper -- what about grape sugar? The
formulas I'm looking at that call for grape sugar are for so-called
"powder process" or "dusting on process" where you put a selection of gum
arabic, sugar, rock sugar, grape sugar, honey, albumen, fish glue,
glucose, gelatine (according to various formulas) and dichromate onto
plate, expose under a positive, then heat or moisten so the non-hardened
parts take your -- ceramic pigment, carbon, granular resist, whatever.
Cassells has a couple of these formulas, as do the various Dictionaries of
Photography, etc. up to about 1930. I seem to recall also that Kent Wade
(Alternative Photographic Processes circa 1978?) has a few.

Judy