Re: Local dialects (was Re: Dichromate stain/image)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:52:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Steve Avery wrote:
> Ummm, maybe not a good choice. "Hector" is the colloquial name I have
> always had associated with the protector used in cricket to prevent
> damage to the family jewels (could just be me and my mates, but everyone
> else I met seemed to know it).

Perhaps Australian (to date, that is, as I suspect, Steve, that you have now
internationalized it), but my mini-survey here (one male so far) raised no
spark of recognition. Meanwhile, it's possible to wonder where the usage
came from.

The derivation of the verb in current English is a Trojan warrior in the
Iliad -- Hector -- who was always giving, I suppose it was Ulysses (or
maybe that other fella) advice.

My Webster's 2, which lists with lowercase "h," says it means "to play the
bully, swagger, harass, intimidate or domineer over by bluster, scolding
or personal pressure," though that's an old dictionary & I think the
current usage (such as it is) tends more toward somewhat officious
advice-giving, or, if you will ---- "nannying", as the term has been used
in these pages.

And not "good" nannying, as Mary Poppins, mentioned so disingenuously
above, but pain-in-the-neck hectoring. Inasmuchas men were not only doing
all the hectoring, but the tossing about of epithets, I thought my
drawing attention to this no-doubt unconscious gender bias would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Judy