Re: Revival

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:01:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Carson Graves x1507 3NE wrote:
> The only argument I might have with Judy is that this attitude was equally
> distributed between the sexes. I didn't notice one direction being more
> male than female or vice versa.

I may have been eliding two phenomena, or maybe there were other
variables, including my particular students. But I noticed that in the
early years the boys tended to resist gum printing like crazy; those
students who took to it were almost invariably female.

Though this is hardly a scientific conclusion -- maybe the reason my
students like gum so much better now has nothing to do with change in the
air, coming of computer printing, or anything at all except the fact that
I know so much more myself. Since they start where I am, they do better
right off, more success, less frustration. Which in itself could be factor
in "revival," as you (or who?) suggested.

Cheers,

Judy