Re: Diafine HELP

Maxim M. Muir (mdmuir@nfinity.com)
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:38:40 -0500

At 6:08 PM on 10/22/96, Kevin Lock wrote:

> I have been meticulous in my measurements with accurate equipment (0.2g
> phenol???)
> Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Kevin-if you are really using PHENOL instead of PHENIDONE (aka
1-phenyl-3-pyrazolidone), you are only developing with the hydroquinone in
the formulas, which is a weak reducing agent when used alone. The
phenidone/hydroquinone combination is well known for being apowerful
combination (superadditive), and producing a slight film speed increase as
compared to traditional metol/hydroquinone developers. If you do not have
phenidone, you need to get some pronto and remix the diafine substitute
formula with it. You will get usable negatives .

Maxim M. Muir
See the "Maximum Monochrome" homepage at:
http://www.nfinity.com/~mdmuir/