Re: Coating for carbon

Albert Strauss (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:22:03 +0000

At 03:53 AM 10/23/96 +0000, Sandy wrote:
>Al wrote:
>
>> In answer to your question the thickness of coating can be measured with
a micrometer which is accurate to .0005 (half a thousandth) or a top quality
digital vernier caliper which has similar accuracy.

>Please tell me more about these instruments and the procedures for
>measuring gelatine thickness.

Both the micrometer and vernier calipers are commonly used by machinists
to measure the thickness of materials. All machinists own them.
A micrometer looks something like a C clamp. when the handle is turned
the gap closes. The size of the gap is read off graduations on the
handle. A vernier caliper looks like a flattened pipe wrench. The gap
between the jaws is read likewise. Modern ones have digital readouts
older ones have scribe marks and a dial for reading fine increments.
There is more sophisticated instrumentation, but this is adequate.
If you have a machine shop on campus, for maintenance, or in the Mechanical
Engineering dept. you should have no problem finding someone to make the
measurements for you.

Regards

Al