Re: Film/glyoxal/Nova

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Thu, 7 Nov 96 18:07 GMT0

<< Ilford Ortho Plus in D-19 for enlarged negatives. It's like
FP-4, he says, without the dye to make it panchromatic. Ilford says it
is normally made only 4x5 and 8x10, >>

Judy

This is an improved version of what was one of my favourite films for making
large negs direct in the camera, and I also used it in the darkroom. I think
D19 is used particularly for its low fog levels, but I found normal PQ
Universal developers (Paterson or Ilford) to be excellent with this film.

However as with many other 'improvements' these may not help in non-standard
uses such as we tend to make.

It is very easy to select a part of your message to quote and reply to so I
think there is no real problem, however it may make follow up messages hard to
follow.

<< Nova vertical processor, long available
in England, I learned, but only 3 years in the US. I'm wondering if that
would beat tube development for laaarge lith film (would have to make the
verticals myself in that size, >>

I used one of these for over 10 years for colour paper. Personally with film I
prefer to use fresh developer in a tray on a one-shot basis and haven't had
problems yet - but then I only make small pictures.

The Nova I have handles paper up to 16x12 and I think holds about 2.5 litres
of each solution though it is a while since I used it. There is also a 8x10
version - students use it at college. Solutions keep pretty well in this as
the surface area is very small. Agitation is by hand and I am not sure how
even this would be - though I noticed no problems on this with colour paper.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/
and: http://www.speltlib.demon.co.uk/