Re: Quick salt print query

Mike Robinson and Janine Kissner (robkiss@io.org)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 00:25:07 +0000

Jack,

One thing you haven't mentioned in your description is a washing of the
print before fixing. The print will have an excess of silver nitrate in it
that must be washed out before toning and fixing. Usually ten to fifteen
minutes until the wash water runs clear (no more milkiness). Without this
washing before fixing, you will get black stains.

I also suggest a two to three minute flotation on the sensitizer and the
use of a slightly alkaline plain hypo bath.

Sodium thiosulfate (pentahydrate) 150g
Sodium Carbonate 2g
Water to make 1L

Good Luck,