Re: Uranium Toning

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:22:49 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Eugene Robkin wrote:
> The toning solution must be kept in motion over the prints to prevent uneven
> markings, and colours from warm sepia to Bartolozzi red are produced with
> the greatest ease. When the desired colour is attained, the prints are

I am moved to say that this formula isn't precisely my idea of "greatest
ease," though maybe that Bartolozzi red is better than the rather sepia
color I mostly got with uranium toning, or the somewhat redder red of an
ordinary copper toner formula (copper sulfate, potassium citrate,
and potassium ferricyanide), which costs about 10cents to make and is as
easy as blue toning. There are many uranium nitrate formulas in the old
books -- until the 30s, maybe even into the 40s. The few I tried were
*all* easier than that number, Gene, and why anyone would do it for what
is admittedly a fugitive result is hard to figure. But the elusive Boys
Book formula was in conjunction with either sulfide or gold, which
presumably made it more permanent.

What do you sell the uranium for Richard? Are folks still toning platinum
with it? I know it's used in ceramic glazes, too. (Gee, I have a bag of
uranium glaze somewhere, wonder if it would tone a photograph?) Or?

Judy