Re: My 2nd Pigment Print

Eugene Robkin (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:35:30 -0500

----------
> From: FotoDave@aol.com
> Date: Friday, December 13, 1996 1:51 PM
>
> Hi, about 2 months ago I posted my experience with my first pigment
tissue
> and print. It wasn't successful. I received lots of helps from people on
the
> list. Thanks again!
>
> Anyway, I did my second trial yesterday. It was much more successful.
There
> is a clear step separation on the print from Stouffer step tablets, and
the
> letters "STOFFOUER etc. " can be clearly seen. However, there are some
> problems. I used sized watercolor paper. (I am going to use fixed-out
paper
> for my next experiments to reduce the number of variables, but I
eventually
> want to use watercolor because as a watercolor painter, I already fell in
> love with the look/feel of this print). So I would appreciate any
> comment/suggestion/help with the problems:
>
> 2. In the case where I want to use watercolor paper again, should I use
hot
> pressed, cold pressed, smooth, or rough surface? How should I size it? If
> follow the instruction of sizing as in Keepers of Light, will that be
> sufficient?

Dave,

My own experience is that the sizing is easy, and no where as nearly
critical as for gum printing.
I have sized many different water color papers by either dunking in a bath
or brushing on.

For the final receiving paper:

1) dunking - One bath of gelatin and formalin (mixture as recommended in
Keepers of the Light)
2) brushing - foam brush. Brush on gelatin, let dry (or almost dry) then
brush on gelatin with Formalin,
again K of L mixture.

I have used BFK, Fabriano Aristico (cp), Stonehenge, among others. All seem
to work equally well.
I t doesn't matter what the surface. Its just a matter of taste. There may
be a preference as to
archivality but I haven't looked into it yet.

I also use old FB paper, glossy and mat surface fixed out. Use this to
troubleshoot as it eliminates
a variable

> 1. The white area can't seem to clear out. This seems to be the problem
of
> sizing or development but not fogging (although there might also be
present).
> The reason I suspected sizing is because even in the area where the
pigment
> tissue did not touch (the area of the paper which was larger than the
pigment
> tissue), when the gelatine dissolved and touched this area, it became
> contaminated and did not clear out. I had to use my finger to rub and
clear
> it.

I had the same problems. They were in every case due to the tissue, not the
receiving
paper. One problem is that of a gritty looking color in the
unexposed areas that had gelatin. The grit may be (as Klaus suggested)
residual clumped pigment grains, that have come out of the gelatine.
Solution: mix better or use different source for pigment.

Another possible cause: Too much pigment in the gelatine mixture. My
results improved
when I backed off from the amounts suggested. Less pigment allows the light
to penetrate
deeper into the gelatin thereby leaving a thicker film with better relief.
The layer is stronger,
and has less tendency to stain the paper.

> The question is: does it sound like the paper is undersized or oversized?
> am suspecting oversize because the paper became thick and hard after
sizing
> instead of soft like before it was sized.

The paper always becomes a little stiffer when sized but should not become
stiff and
hard. The K of L mixture 28gm/1 liter should not cause this unless the
gelatin is too
cold when being applied.

> Also, does it sound like underdevelopment? How long should I develop? I
was
> using water of 105-110 degrees.

The temperature is about right (45 -50 deg. C). Development starts
immediately. Within
2 - 3 minutes, enough of the slimy gelatin has washed off so that you
should be able
to recognize the image. In another 5 minutes it is usually finished. If you
leave it in hot
water past that point it usually doesn't develop further, because all of
the unhardened
gelatin has been dissolved. Sometimes a gentle shower of hot water will
clear the highlights
a little more. Anything more forceful will do more harm then good.

> Overall, I am very very excited and happy about this watercolor-look
print on
> watercolor paper! TIA for all helps!

Yes. What I like best is that it seems to have a more 3D appearance then
platinum,
and the fact that I can make my prints any color that I want without using
exotic
chemical toners.

Hpe this helps

Cheers