Re: Preserving photo chemistry

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:32:32 -0500 (EST)

Rosebud,

Some workers (very few probably) use nitrogen gas to displace oxygen
from their chemistry containers. Others fill the containers with
marbles so that the bottle is filled with liquid, not air. There are
also schemes that use small hollow plastic balls which float on the
surface of the chemistry thus reducing the surface area of the liquid
that comes in contact with the air (a solid piece of plastic called a
"floating lid" can also be used). I usually divide my chemistry
between several smaller containers, for example one gallon of
developer into 4 @ 1 lt. bottles filling them to the tops.

-greg schmitz

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, rosebud wrote:

> I recently had a small brainstorm or was it a storm in my small brain?
> Anyway, I use an "inert" gas product to help keep opened bottles of wine
> fresh. It works by laying down a "blanket" of gas on the top of the
> liquid, preventing any air from accelerating the oxidation or spoilage.
> The label says it works for various liquors, sherrys, oils, and
> vinegars. Why wouldn't this also work for photo chemistry? Any chemist
> out there?
>
> I was thinking this would work especially well with film developers. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Darryl
>

>===for PGP Key finger Greg Schmitz <gws1@cunix.cc.columbia.edu>===
:: ::
Key fingerprint = 73 D3 91 15 96 69 74 E5 14 51 71 44 C8 ED 01 11
Key ID: A7026B1D Key Size: 1024 bits Created: 1994/11/10