Re: Posting for Judy Seigel

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:53:30 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> << I'll add, BTW, for those so wont to sneer at me -- text was
> clearer, sharper, and better resolution, on the old mac plus. Observation
> confirmed by the computer wizard who set the thing up for me.
> >>

> Try to use different settings of brightness and contrast of your monitor to
> see if that helps. If not, you could probably try to set the computer in such
> a way that it uses a different (thicker) font for your system font.

Oh criminy (is it OK to say criminy in public?), we did it and did it and
did it, every contrast & brightness combo, every type style, every font,
every adapter setting. Whatever, the screen remained a good imitation of
the fabled London peasoup fog. (I know those are a thing of the past,
I'm just reaching for a metaphor.)

Anyway, said she brightly, after a couple of hours of sheer futility I
reached the perfect solution. The next day I went back to the store, gave
them 270 dollars more and got the best monitor (.25 mm aperture grille
pitch, vs .27 for the previous one, among other details) they had within
my size range (15 inch being the maximum I have room for). The store was
so pleased with this transaction, it threw in a Kodak digital camera DC20
as a free gift, and as soon as I've worked my way through the suitcase of
manuals came with the computer & its software, I'll take a look at that...

Need I add that having husband chauffeur and sherpa me through the xmas
traffic on this expedition used up a year's worth of brownie points? But
it was worth it -- new monitor, Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100 sf, is
excellent. Not of course as good as the old Mac Plus screen (I'm told the
technology is completely different, which is to say, that was then & this
is now), but acceptable.

Cheers,

Judy