Re: Making a light bank

Judy Seigel ( jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 10 January 1997 6:15 PM

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Richard Sullivan wrote:
> Almost all big cities in the U.S. have a Grainger
> office, call information get their number and have them send you one of
> their catalogs, it's free, they give em away like popcorn, and it's the
> size of the Manhattan phone directory, a real nice to have. They are a real
> good general purpose supermarket for goodies like this.

We just got our first Kmart this year in Manhattan, so I realize we are
disadvanataged shopping-wise, but I'll mention that the Grainger about 2
blocks from my house is VERY fussy about not selling to private
individuals. When I want something from them I have to get carpenter or
contractor with letterhead to get it. Maybe, though, out-of-town things
are more casual. (Certainly their catalog is a a reference work in
itself.)

> If you've gotten this far, and are building your own light bank, I'd advise
> going with solid state ballasts and not go with the magnetic. It'll cost you
> $100.00+ or more, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

I don't have digital ballasts, but from what I understand Dick is 100%
right on that. In fact the fella who teaches platinum 2nd semester says
he's going to try to retrofit our light table at school with digital.
Apparently for platinum printing the temperature change over the first 90
minutes, also from heat build-up, is a significant variable. And as
someone on this list has said, if you're committed to "alt-photo" you're
being penny-wise, pound-foolish to get an inferior light to save $100.
Once made, it lasts a lifetime, while your entire investment of time,
labor & materials is compromised if light isn't right.

Judy