Re: We are not the alternative

Sil Horwitz ( silh@iag.net)
Fri, 10 January 1997 11:54 PM

At 10:52 AM 970111 +1100, Dick Sullivan wrote:

>The "List" is turning out to be a great force in photography and we in=
short
>order make the term "Classical photography" convey to the world that it is
>the the kind of photography that we do. =20

Agree. "Classical Photography" has a sense of =E9lan to it and if we start
using it, eventually it will catch on. I think you should contact the
editors of the various commercial photo mags (possibly a letter to the
editor, unless they're amicable to using it as a news item. (Dick, you have
some clout because you're an advertiser!) I will certainly do a little piece
for the PSA Journal; the Society is big on classical processes, have many
such prints in their collection, and I think will be receptive. Anyway, I
am! Thanks for the idea.

Now if someone can think up a definitive term for the photography done via
computer operations. "Digital" doesn't cut it because that's not what it is,
and there's always that impression of something done with the fingers.
"Computerized" is out because today all photography is computerized. Ideas?

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net