Re: Names

Judy Seigel ()
Tue, 14 January 1997 11:02 PM

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Peter Marshall wrote:
> However one thing we can all try to avoid is the unnecessary proliferation of
> names for minor variations in existing processes. If we are worried about the
> picture-buying public understanding what we are doing then we should try for
> the minimum number of categories. I've always tried to do this (and sometimes
> been criticised for it) by calling, for example ALL processes based on the
> light sensitivity of iron compounds followed by a reaction with silver ions
> 'kallitypes'.

Sorry, I can't agree. In the first place, my take on the "picture-buying
public," faulty as that may be, is that they just love, love, LOVE! fine
points, expertise, and distinctions. If I explain to someone the
difference, say, between VDB and kallitype, maybe their eyes glaze over,
and the smile fades a little, but au fond, they are thrilled to pieces,
follow me like puppy dogs, enshrine me forever in their pantheon of
brilliant olympic-class experts and think photography is SO fascinating,
maybe they'll take a course some day.

I also note that if we want some respect in the world at large (and OF
COURSE we do), let them get a glimmer of a field full of fine points,
history, subtlety, distinctions, complications, judgement, and a humongous
number of potential processes each one of which has its own richness and
finesse. And here having a generic name for "alt-photo" would be so much
better than not. If some clod needs handholding or reassurance that a
process is market worthy, rather than saying, um, it's kallitype, which
leaves them no more informed than before, if you say it's one of the
------- group (whatever term is chosen) they can, as the MLA types say,
contextualize it.

As for the distinction between van dyke brown and kallitype, that is
nearly as great as between carbon printing and gum printing jseigel@panix.com (which also
use the same *materials*), and so great that to call both by one name
would be to fall into confusion, ineptitude and futility. If you, Peter,
think it's feasible to use one set of terms for outsiders & one for
practitioners, I can only conclude that you live in a very orderly &
controlled world, unlike the reality we peasants encounter every day in
real life.

There is a whole literature, from the Photo Miniature to the presentday,
including the Bostick & Sullivan lab manual, KoL and a certain
undefinitive book, which distinctly and clearly deal with the kallitype as
1. more or less identical to platinum except using silver instead of
platinum/palladium, and 2.as distinctly different from VDB.

However, if you are tactfully chiding Terry, who has for some reason taken
it into his head to "name" or *rename* kallitype as "Agfertype," which
was the issue I addressed in the first place, there I would agree, and in
no way did I have or intend "tongue in cheek."

Cheers,

Judy