Re: Dmax, highlights and BFK

Judy Seigel ( ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Tue, 14 January 1997 11:38 PM

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Risa Horowitz wrote:

> I'm reminded of someone once mentioning that Rives BFK has some sort of
> bleach in it to whiten the paper.
> Does anyone know If this could have an effect on the apparent contrast of a
> Van Dyke? i.e. altho one may get rich highlights, could this bleach further
> reduce the density in the shadow areas of a Van Dyke?

I recall someone mentioning the *brighteners* in BFK, which would wash out
in a couple of hours soak anyway. These are materials which make paper
look very bright white at first, and I believe the statement was that BFK
"bright white" has them. Most photo paper has brighteners also, I
understand, though they apparently fade with time or wash out or both....

Judy