Re: Geveart / Gevaert

Luis Nadeau ( nadeaul@mailserv.nbnet.nb.ca)
Thu, 16 January 1997 1:28 PM

Henk wrote:

>Luis wrote:
>
>>It should be noted that around the turn of the century, Helios, of New
>>York, and Geveart, in Belgium, supplied platinum coated Japanese tissues.
> ^^^^^^^^
>Luis, I could not let it pass, the 'e' must be behind the 'a', the 'e' is the
>old Dutch way of indicating a long 'aa'; nothing to do with the English 'ea'.
>Sorry, do not want to be childish, but normally you are the one correcting
>wrong names...........

Thanks for the correction. Indeed, it is important to have the correct
spelling of proper names as there are more and more searchable databases
and in most cases, if you don't have the exact spelling you miss
everything!

I see that I mispelled it at least once in my Encyclopedia and in my
platinum book... I probably copied someone else's mistake, again;-)

As an anecdote, Agfa-Gevaert dropped the Gevaert part of their name in
1988. I wonder why;-)

Luis Nadeau
nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada